- Develop new features for digital insurance platforms (e.g., underwriting, policy management, claim and payment)
- Develop REST API and design data model for features
- Monitor and optimize API performance
- Assist in launching an insurance product
- Designing architecture and maintain good application modules to build resilient production systems
- Support ad-hoc tech-related requests and inquiries of internal users
- Understand user requirements and collaborate with the designer and product manager
- Transform product requirements to technical specs, documentation, and unit testing
- Handle user incident reports and bug fixes
- 4+ years of experience in software development working across the whole software development life-cycle (candidate with 1.5 years+ of experience and/or not fully matching the minimum qualification requirements will be considered for a Software Engineer role.)
- Proficient in one or more server-side languages (e.g. Python, Java, Go, C#)
- Experienced in building REST API and good knowledge of CRUD operation
- Good knowledge in using relational databases and understanding of SQL
- Experienced in designing/refactoring/migrating data schema
- Good sense of finding and patching bugs
- Experienced in maintaining production systems with profiling and bug monitoring
- Experienced in designing and developing a complete system (no matter how big or small) from scratch
- Prior experience in startups and/or software product companies is a huge plus, but not a must
- Experienced with Python, Django, Django REST framework
- Good understanding of different programming paradigm (OOP vs. functional programming)
- Experienced in using PostgreSQL
- Knowledge of deploying web servers is a plus
- Setting up cache layer
- Good knowledge of programming design pattern
- Experienced in the financial and insurance industry
- You advocate software craftsmanship and take pride in your work
What do we offer?
- A competitive package that is commensurate with your experience
- Flexible working arrangement (a hybrid of work from home and in-person)
- Fun, cooperative, flexible, and autonomous start-up culture
- We offer education sponsorship and leaves to support you to further your skills and expertise
Our Tech Stack:
- Django & Django REST
About the Job
What problems will you solve?
As a backend engineer in Bowtie, you will be leading and working on producing intuitive, reliable, and sleek software that makes insurance operations a bliss. Your projects can range from developing claims systems, and improving our underwriting engine, to any other tools that make our teams' life easier and more efficient.
In case you are wondering how we are doing so far, here is coverage of our first-of-its-kind online underwriting engine.
What will your day-to-day look like?
Our engineers never work in a silo. You will be working in a cross-functional team responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception to deployment. You will be directly interacting with teammates from different departments.
While communication is crucial, we do appreciate that engineers need a quiet and disturbance-free environment to be the most productive. We make arrangements to let our engineers work from home since our early days and we have a flexible hours policy that lets people work on their schedule as long as they can effectively collaborate with different parties.
We work together as a team and our engineers never work in silos.
Cross-team collaboration is the key ingredient to our success. As an engineer at Bowtie, you will be participating in meetings with different stakeholders and a cross-functional project team from early on in the product development process. This is to make sure that engineering challenges/barriers will be uncovered and discussed at an early stage of design/decision making.
We are on a constant search for better ways to operate. At the moment, we are exploring the benefit of the 6-week sprint cycle from Basecamp. But we are always happy to take on new suggestions and discover alternative options.
We are a lean team, but we have built/are building some big software that takes hundreds of engineers and years to build.
If you are looking to join a multi-award-winning team (HKICT Fintech Award Winner of 2017, Hong Kong Insurance Award 2020, just to name a few) that has been featured and recognised by tech companies, such as AWS, get in touch today!
We are the first licensed virtual insurer (虛擬保險公司) in Hong Kong.
We believe that insurance is fundamentally good, and we are here to bring the good back through our passionate, innovative, and customer-obsessed team. We are also proud to bring deep domain expertise and our own proprietary modern technology into Hong Kong. As we grow, we're looking for highly dynamic, hands-on, and passionate talent to join our team.
Information collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.
The company will retain all applications no longer than 24 months of which will be destroyed thereafter.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, disability or family status in employment process.